The Gift of Peace
Three Kinds of Peace in the Bible
1.Peace with God – Spiritual – Eternal
- Being out of relationship with someone robs the relationship of peace.
- “ And all of this is a gift from God, who brought us back to himself through Christ. And God has given us this task of reconciling people to him. 2 Corinthians 5:18
- Therefore, since we have been made right in God’s sight by faith, we have peace[a] with God because of what Jesus Christ our Lord has done for us. Romans 5:1
2.Peace with Yourself – Emotional – Internal
- 5 And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts. For as members of one body you are called to live in peace. And always be thankful.” Colossians 3:15
3.Peace with others- Relational – External
- The further we are away from God it messes up relationships with everyone else.
- 14 For Christ himself has brought peace to us. He united Jews and Gentiles into one people when, in his own body on the cross, he broke down the wall of hostility that separated us. Ephesians 2:14
How Do You Get God’s Peace?
- I must experience a moment of clarity – The opposite is denial (Honesty factor)
- You begin to see things differently- you come to your senses
- Joseph moment in a dream, Mary came from an angel, wise men came from nature, Elizebth came through a friendship – pray for God to wake you up or others.
- 5 Make sure that the light you think you have is not actually darkness. “ Luke 11:35
- Oh, that you had listened to my commands!
Then you would have had peace flowing like a gentle river
and righteousness rolling over you like waves in the sea.” Isaiah 48:18
2. I must express an attitude of humility- Humility Factor
- Humility is the pathway of peace and pride is the path to conflict.
- “God opposes the proud but shows favor to the humble.” James 4:6
- The Lord is close to the brokenhearted
and saves those who are crushed in spirit.” Psalm 34:18
- 6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Philippians 4:6-7
3. I must expect Jesus to help me – the faith factor
8 Then Jesus said, “Come to me, all of you who are weary and carry heavy burdens, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you. Let me teach you, because I am humble and gentle at heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy to bear, and the burden I give you is light.” Matthew 11:28-29
a. Come to Jesus
- The answer is not a pill or program but a person.
b. Connect with Jesus – yoke with me
- The purpose of the yoke was to lighten the load.
c. Change me Jesus
- Two biggest causes of stress (Pride and Aggression) opposite of humble and Gentle
- Pride – when I try to control everything
- You will keep in perfect peace
those whose minds are steadfast,
because they trust in you.” Isaiah 26:3